Guest post by Bliss
As the weather gets chillier this is a great hearty breakfast to make that also has the benefit of warming up the kitchen while it bakes. It is actually easier then regular french toast as it requires no soaking time.
Baked French Toast
2 cups of milk
1/2 to 1 tsp of cinnamon – can be left out
1 Tblsp of Sugar – or use your sweetener of choice.
6-8 slices of bread (white bread for fluffy – I prefer sour dough- or multi-grain for heavier dense dish)
2-3 tablespoons of Butter to grease pan (I put a nice pat of butter in the pan and put in the oven for a few minute then swirl melted butter around, so easy just don’t forget and burn your butter)
- oven preheated to 375
- Grease a 9×13 pan generously
- cut up slices of bread into small cubes
- put bread cubes in well greased pan fill to just below the top
- Mix eggs and milk and sugar and cinnamon until smooth
- pour well blended egg/milk mixture over bread cubes
- make sure all the bread is covered, may have to use a spatula to gently press into liquid mixture.
- put into oven and cook approximately 20-30 minutes (check after 120) depending on your oven until it puffs up and and is slightly firm to touch but still a little jiggly (like a quiche)
- pull out of oven let set for a few minutes
Serve with jam, maple syrup, fruit and/or whipped cream.